Are you just taking a moment to relax on your lawn and appreciate your lush landscape? Upon closer inspection of your tree, you may have noticed mushrooms growing on it. If you are alarmed at the sight of this fungus, you are right to feel so. The presence of a fungus growing on your tree can be a very bad thing for your tree.
Mushrooms can be tasty, but you would not want them to grow on your tree. These kinds of mushrooms mean trouble to your tree, and as soon as you find one, you have to make it your goal to remove it as soon as possible.
What does it mean if mushrooms are growing on a tree?
When mushrooms are growing on your tree’s trunk, it can mainly mean one thing: unfortunately, your tree is probably extremely sick and is on the verge of dying. However, mushrooms are not the reason why your tree is suffering.
If there is a presence of mushroom conks in your tree, it can mean that there is an underlying problem which is the root cause of the tree’s sickness. Mushrooms are a type of fungi, which needs to have rotting organic material in order to survive. This would mean that when mushrooms are settling on your tree’s trunk, your tree is rotting.
Are all mushrooms harmful to my tree?
As mentioned above, mushrooms are generally not the one that is harming your tree but is actually a sign that it is sick due to a variety of reasons. However, this does not mean that they are harmless to your tree. There are certain types of mushrooms that will cause harm to your tree that will be detrimental to your tree’s health if not removed.
The worst mushrooms that need to be removed from your tree as soon as identified are the following:
- Honey fungus
Honey fungus, also called Armillaria, settles first on the roots of a tree and is usually present during summers when the weather is warm and dry. When your tree is infected with this fungus, its branches will eventually die and will have wilted leaves. As the disease progresses, your tree will fall off on its own due to its weakened state. Armillaria quickly spreads on trees such as alder, beech, willow, and birch.
If honey fungus is present in your tree, remove the infected tree before it can make other trees sick as well. If it is allowed in your locality, opt to have your tree burned to effectively kill the spores.
Ganoderma is a fungus that mostly attacks deciduous trees such as oaks and maples. Sadly, when Ganoderma is already attached to your tree, there is nothing more you can do about it as it is considered a very lethal disease and will kill your tree in a few months or years. When your tree has this fungus, the best thing for you to do is to properly remove your tree to stop the spread of infection to other trees. Proper care and maintenance is the only way to protect your tree from Ganoderma.
When your tree has this fungus, its leaves will turn yellow and will wilt. Depending on the rate of spore growth, more branches will die and your heartwood will decay. This type of fungi prefers trees that are large in diameter with broad leaves such as maples, oaks, and sycamores.
Also called brittle cinder fungus, usually grows on your tree during the months of March to May. When your tree has injuries on its root base, the brittle cinder takes advantage and will work its way up to your tree, causing it to rot. This fungus is aggressive and will cause your tree to rot usually in just a couple of months.
Brittle cinders got their name as they turn black and will crumble during the late stages of summertime. When your tree has Kretzschmaria, it would be best to isolate them from other trees to prevent spreading the infection.
What kills mushrooms growing on your tree?
If mushrooms are present in your tree, you will need to remove them for the safety of your tree and other plants on your lawn. Some methods may work well, but some may be ineffective to get rid of the mushroom on your tree. We recommend you to try the less invasive before using the methods that will require the use of chemicals.
Best methods in getting rid of mushrooms on your tree:
Pick the mushrooms of your trees
The easiest and simplest way of removing mushrooms from your tree is by picking them off by hand. Make sure to wear protective gloves as some mushrooms cause skin irritation. If touching them is icky for you, you can always use a tool to cut them off. When you remove mushrooms, always aim to include taking off its root.
Use vinegar to make your own fungicide
Vinegar contains a material called acetic acid that is effective in getting rid of mushrooms. For this method, you will need an empty spray bottle, white vinegar, and water in a 1:4 ratio. Mix the liquids together and place them on the spray bottle for efficient spraying. Spray the mixture on mushrooms and avoid getting them on other parts of your tree with no fungus growth.
Use a commercial fungicide
When the DIY solution does not work, it’s time to go to the store to get a fungicide. Make sure that you are getting the right product that will remove the specific mushroom growing on your tree.